Effective communication is a key life skill. It isn’t just about sharing your message with the audience. It is aligning what you say and what the audience perceives. When you work on your communication skills, it’ll not just make a difference in your professional life but will also improve your relations and personal life. When you’re able to put across your message in a humble yet straightforward manner, people take you seriously.
Goals of effective communication
The primary aim of effective communication is to ensure that the message you send is taken in a positive way so that you can decide on further action. This can simply mean that if you’re speaking, the other person lets you finish your side of the story without interruption or gives feedback about the situation.
Through effective communication, you want to create a ‘common perception’. Common perception doesn’t mean the other person has to agree with you totally. If the audience disagrees with you and your thoughts, they can say it in an appropriate manner, and things can be further discussed.
Benefits of effective communication
There are so many ways to enhance your communication, and one of the most efficient ways is through skill development training. Given below are the main benefits of effective communication –
- It reduces misunderstandings and the possibility of overlooking crucial information. This also means that everyone’s time is saved because the situation can be assessed accurately. When you don’t assume things about the situation, you’re saved from disagreements and conflicts.
- It creates a non-threatening environment where a diverse group of people (of different religions, backgrounds, ethnicities etc.) can share their thoughts and ideologies. Everyone feels respected and understood and together as a group you can solve problems and make important decisions.
- Effective communication is essential as it helps people build trust and get rid of negative emotions that get in the way of clear thinking. This means that when you have a strong communication channel, it promotes the desire to work towards a common goal.
- Improving your communication means that you also increase your self-esteem and confidence. It feels great when you can share your thoughts and messages in a clear and efficient way and watch your audience embrace it and react in the way you wanted them to.
- When you communicate effectively, it improved your relations with others. Slowly you’ll be able to deliver even difficult messages with ease and in a calm and composed way.
Where can you use effective communication?
All your social skills and life skills are directly or indirectly related to communication. Any type of social interaction will benefit from good communication like – meetings, job interviews, events, dealing with difficult family situations, negotiating a deal, going out with friends or family, meeting new people etc.
How to improve your effective communication skills?
There are many ways to improve your effective communication skills. Skill development training that’s majorly about communication at work and in personal life will be greatly helpful. You can also read books, listen to podcasts, or watch videos online. But the idea is to practice what you’ve learnt. Apply what you’ve learnt in day-to-day situations, and you’ll be able to see how slowly your communication skills will become better.
Communication is like any other skill. Start with the basics, master them, and then move on to advanced level. Effective communication skills cannot be built overnight. It needs to be practiced and is a constant work-in-progress. There’s always something to learn and implement to make your communication skills better. There are various skill development trainings and train the trainer program that focuses on communication. These are rather helpful for managers and coaches to establish an effective communication channel and build their team.